St. Luke’s International Hospital

St. Luke’s International Hospital

History

History

  • doctor
  • Dr. Rudolf B. Teusler,
    Founder

  This hospital is a living organism
designed to demonstrate
in convincing terms
the transmuting power of Christian love
when applied
in relief of human suffering.
                                       Rudolf B. Teusler(1933)

1900 Dr. and Mrs. Teusler arrive in Japan.
1901 Dr. Teusler establishes an almshouse in Tsukudajima.
1901 St. Luke's Hospital is founded.
1904 A nursing school is established with a first class of 10 students.
1912 St. Luke's Pharmacy is established in Ginza.
1913 St. Luke's Board of Sponsors (Mr. Shigenobu Okuma, Mr. Shinpei Goto, Mr. Tokutaro Sakai, Mr. Yoshitaro Sakatani, and Mr. Eiichi Shibusawa) decides to construct a new hospital.
1917 St. Luke's Hospital changes its name to St. Luke's International Hospital.
1918 Dr. Teusler is assigned to Vladivostok as Head Physician of the Japan-Siberia-USA Red Cross with 30 doctors and nurses.
1920 St. Luke's International Hospital Affiliated Advanced Nursing School is established.
1923 The Great Kanto Earthquake completely destroys the hospital.
In the aftermath of the earthquake, operations start as a "US Government Department of Health Field Hospital".
1924 Construction of a temporary hospital comprising 40-50 beds is completed .
1925 The temporary hospital is destroyed by fire (all 140 inpatients were safely evacuated).
Japan's first Central Laboratory is set up in the new temporary hospital.
1927 Japan's first Public Health Nursing Department is established.
1929 Japan's first Medical Social Services Department is established.
1933 The new hospital (the current Old Building) is completed with 6 floors above ground and one floor below ground.
An American-style residency training system is introduced, the first for Japan.
1936 The St. Luke's Chapel is completed (and remains intact in the Old Building today).
1945 Great Tokyo Air Raids: At the behest of the metropolitan government, hospital relief corps is frequently deployed.
After the war, the US Armed Force GHQ requisition all facilities for use as the US Army Hospital.  
Medical services and 71 workers are transferred to the municipal hospital at the former 14 Akashi-cho.
1947 Medical teams are sent to areas stricken by Typhoon Kathleen: 500 patients treated and 280 people vaccinated.
1948 St. Luke's International Hospital is designated as a Travel Medical Examination Office for overseas travelers.
1949 St. Luke's International Hospital is designated as a practicum training hospital for medical school graduates.
Medical teams are sent to areas stricken by Typhoon Kitty: 209 patients treated.
1954 One week comprehensive medical checkups begin, the first for a private hospital.
1956 Japan's first Medical Records Management Department is set up.
Hospital buildings are returned by the US Army. The Japanese national flag is flown on the roof.
The cross on top of the main building is dedicated, and the Service of Thanksgiving is held for the restoration of St. Luke's International Hospital.
1957 The "Iron Lung" respirator is introduced.
1964 The establishment of St. Luke's College of Nursing is approved.
1968 The Coronary Care Unit (CCU) is established, the first for a general hospital in Japan.
1972 The Medical Checkup Center (currently the Center for Preventive Medicine) is established.
1973 The Intensive Care Unit (ICU) is established.
1977 CT scanners are installed.
1980 Plans for a new hospital building begins.
1984 3 out of the 8 American Legation Monuments are transferred to the American Embassy.
1985 The hospital begins performing coronary catheterizations.
1986 A medical team is sent to the Tokyo G7 Summit held in the State Guest House.
1988 The pipe organ, built in France, is installed in the Chapel.
1990 Doctors begin staffing the Kiyosato St. Luke's Clinic (until July 1991).
MRI machines are installed.
1992 The new hospital (currently the Main Hospital Building) is completed, the first 100%-private room hospital in Japan.
1994 St. Luke's Garden is completed.
1995 4 doctors and 11 nurses are dispatched to the areas stricken by the Great Hanshin Earthquake.
Tokyo Subway Sarin Gas Attack occurs; 640 victims treated (110 of them hospitalized).
Routine hospital-acquired infection surveillance (per United States CDC guidelines) is initiated, the first for Japan.
1996 The Dental Residency Program is approved.
The St. Luke's School of Nursing building is completed.
1997 The Palliative Care Unit (PCU) and hospice program are established.
The Emergency Medical Center is established (approved as an Emergency Care Center in 1999).
St. Luke's International Hospital is designated as an AIDS Treatment Center.
1998 The Teusler Memorial House is relocated.
The St. Luke's International Hospital Redevelopment Plan is completed and the commemoration ceremony is held.
1999 The Learning Center for patients opens.
2000 St. Luke's International Hospital is designated as a regional Perinatal Medical Center.
2001 Japan's 15th brain death case is cared for at St. Luke's.
2002 100th anniversary of the hospital's founding is commemorated.
2003 The electronic medical chart system, "SMILE III", is initiated.
2004 35 medical workers dispatched to areas stricken by the Niigata Chuestsu Earthquake (October 23).
2005 The Ambulatory Care Center for Children is established and an after-hours clinic in collaboration with Chuo-ku Medical Association is started.
Volunteers are sent to areas in Pakistan stricken by the Kashmir Earthquake.
2006 The Department of Medical Genetics opens.
The Gastroenterology Center opens.
2007 The road approaching the hospital is officially nicknamed "St. Luke's Street".
13 workers are dispatched to areas stricken by the Niigata Chuetsu Offshore Earthquake (July 16).
2008 St. Luke's International Hospital is designated as a Regional Core Cancer Treatment Hospital.
2009 The Oncology Center opens.
2010 The St. Luke's Birth Clinic opens.
2011 A new electronic medical chart system, "SMILE for...", begins operation.
The Great East Japan Earthquake occurs; 200 patients are stranded at the hospital.
The Cardiovascular Center opens.
The robotic surgical system, "da Vinci", is introduced.
St. Luke's International Hospital is designated as a Regional Medical Care Support Hospital.
2012 Accreditation is awarded by Joint Commission International (JCI), the United States' leading hospital accrediting organization.
St. Luke's MediLocus opens.
2014 Changed to St Luke’s International University
The Liaison Center was opened.
The Thoracic Center was opened
2015 Joint Commission International(JCI)accreditation was renewed
Renewal of certification by the Japan Council for Evaluation of Postgraduate Clinical Training
The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) highly acclaimed the Quality Indicator approach used at St. Luke’s International Hospital in its “Healthcare Quality Review of Japan.”
Won the highest Dr Kwang Tae Kim Grand Award of the International Hospital Federation
2016 Joint Commission International(JCI)accreditation was renewed
2017 The Robot Operation Center was opened.
The Center for Cancer Genomics was opened.
The Center for Integrated Sports Medicine was opened.
2018 The Anesthesia and Perioperative Medicine was opened.
Joint Commission International(JCI)accreditation was renewed
  • St. Luke's Hospital is founded, 1901
    • St. Luke's Hospital is founded, 1901
  • Operation scenery, 1904
    • Operation scenery, 1904
  • St. Luke's Hospital changes its name to St. Luke's International Hospital, 1917
    • St. Luke's Hospital changes its name to St. Luke's International Hospital, 1917
  • Hospital, 1917
    • Dr. Teusler is assigned to Vladivostok as Head Physician of the Japan-Siberia-USA Red Cross with 30 doctors and nurses, 1918
  • Dr. Teusler is assigned to Vladivostok as Head Physician of the Japan-
    • St. Luke's International Hospital Affiliated Advanced Nursing School is established, 1920
  • Siberia-USA Red Cross with 30 doctors and nurses, 1918
    • The Great Kanto Earthquake completely destroys the hospital
  • St. Luke's International Hospital Affiliated Advanced Nursing School is established, 1920
    • 1923 The foreign staff
  • The Great Kanto Earthquake completely destroys the hospital, 1923 The foreign staff, 1949
    • 1949 Japan's first Public Health Nursing Department is established, 1927
  • Japan's first Public Health Nursing Department is established, 1927 The new hospital (the current Old Building) is completed, 1933
    • The new hospital (the current Old Building) is completed, 1933
  • After the war, the US Armed Force GHQ requisition all facilities for use as the US Army 42nd Hospital, 1945
    • After the war, the US Armed Force GHQ requisition all facilities for use as the US Army Hospital, 1945
  • Hospital buildings are returned by the US Army. The Japanese national flag is flown on the roof, 1956
    • Hospital buildings are returned by the US Army. The Japanese national flag is flown on the roof, 1956
  • The pipe organ, built in France, is installed in the Chapel, 1988
    • The pipe organ, built in France, is installed in the Chapel, 1988
  • The new hospital (currently the Main Hospital Building) is completed, the first 100%-private room hospital in Japan, 1992
    • The new hospital (currently the Main Hospital Building) is completed, the first 100%-private room hospital in Japan, 1992
  • The St. Luke's International Hospital Redevelopment Plan is completed and the commemoration ceremony is held, 1998
    • The St. Luke's International Hospital Redevelopment Plan is completed and the commemoration ceremony is held, 1998