Chronic Kidney Disease is a National Affliction
Potential dialysis condition of chronic renal function impairment is called “Chronic Kidney Disease”.
Even though “Chronic Kidney Disease” is a national affliction, the majority of patients do not feel any symptoms. Their renal function gradually deteriorates and progresses to become an end-stage renal disease. However, early detection and treatment for “Chronic Kidney Disease” allows to slow down the progression of the disease.
St Luke’s Nephrology Department provides treatment for various kinds of glomerular disease covered by the term, “chronic kidney disease,” as well as kidney disease associated with general systemic disease, acute disorders of the kidney, hypertension and electrolyte abnormalities, while peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis, and renal transplantations are also performed. At the Chronic Kidney Disease Clinic, a team approach is used, and a doctor, nurse, dietician, and pharmacist cooperate in the medical treatment and education of patients. This group of specialists is involved in the entire flow of treatment from predialysis disease through peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis and renal transplantation.
Our Dialysis Department has been upgraded, and all types of blood purification therapy including hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, plasma exchange, acute blood purification therapy, etc. are provided. We are particularly committed to minimize the physical burden of peritoneal dialysis on patients to preserve their residual renal function. In cooperation with the Intensive Care Unit we are available on a 24-hour basis to provide acute blood purification therapy in case of multiple organ failure or acute disorders of the kidney.
About the Kidney Center
The Kidney Center can support the treatment of all persons with kidney or related diseases, from the stage of predialysis chronic kidney disease through dialysis.
Highly specialized doctors, nurses, pharmacists and dieticians participate in the team that treats all patients with kidney disease.
－Target diseases treated at the Kidney Center－
- Diagnosis and treatment of all kinds of kidney disease and water/electrolyte abnormalities
- Diagnosis of predialysis chronic disease and provision of lifestyle guidance to patients
- Dialysis therapy for end-stage renal failure (hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis), and renal transplantation
- As a specialized blood purification therapy division, specific treatment for acute renal failure, multiple organ failure, neuroimmune diseases, drug poisoning, etc.
- We cooperate with other departments to treat kidney disease and water/electrolyte abnormalities in inpatients
At St. Luke’s International Hospital, we consult chronic kidney disease with team medicine. By conducting a kidney transplant led by the internal medicine department, we will responsibly treat complications from pre-dialysis chronic kidney disease to post-transplantation infections, blood pressure/blood sugar controls and circulatory diseases.
Diseases and Expertise
- All kinds of glomerular disease
- Acute disorders of the kidney
- Chronic kidney disease
- Electrolyte abnormalities, etc.
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Renal transplantation
- Plasma exchange
- Acute blood purification therapy
- Japanese Society of Nephrology
- Japanese Society for Dialysis Therapy